Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Breakfast.. Farro with Sautéed Apple and Greek Yogurt

Today I'm sharing my breakfast from this morning. It's a good example of why keeping some extra cooked grains, etc. can really help put together a healthy, unique and delicious breakfast with just a few minutes of prep.

I picked up some farro at the store the other night, inspired by family who also grabbed some. I had never tried it but really, it's one of the most ancient grains you can get. It's a type of wheat that apparently goes back to around 7700 B.C. but has only really gained popularity as sort of a trendy grain in the last couple years. So I was curious and I'm always excited to try a new food to add some variety.

It reminds me of barley in flavor and texture, and actually I think it looks like barley too. It's got lots of protein and fiber, making it a great choice for a complex carbohydrate when you get tired of rice or quinoa. I used the farro last night along with a veggie stir fry, and I made sure to cook a little extra to have in the fridge. It cooks up like pasta. 1 cup of farro to 3 cups of water, boil gently for about 15 minutes (or until the texture is what you like), drain and serve!

Inspired by this breakfast I had once last month, I decided to recreate it using farro.

(So I had already dug in when I snapped this, it was too good to wait!)


I'm not too good at recipes, since I tend to just add a pinch of this and a pinch of that, without thinking about it. I'm really a "to taste" sort of person when I cook. But I'll give you the basic idea. 

Farro with Sautéed Apple and Greek Yogurt

Serves 1 (but can definitely be multiplied for a crowd, super easy!)

1/4 cup cooked farro (I used this brand)
1 small chopped apple (something you like, but remember some get mushy when cooked)
1/2 tsp coconut oil (optional)
2 tbls milk or dairy-free milk (I used coconut-almond milk)
cinnamon
dash vanilla
sweetener (optional, I went without since I used the honey on top, apples are pretty sweet)
1/4 cup greek yogurt (I used plain Greek Gods brand)
1/2 tbls honey
Optional toppings: walnuts, pecans, bananas, etc


In a small pre-heated skillet, add the coconut oil and let it heat up. Add the chopped apple and cinnamon (I like a lot!) and stir it around and let it heat up. Stir in the cooked farro and cook for about a minute. Slowly add the milk, letting it soak in like you would a risotto. Continue adding until it seems to not soak in anymore (this took me about 5 minutes). You could completely skip the milk by the way, it would be totally yummy without. I loved the flavor it added though. 

Anyway, remove from heat and stir in the vanilla. Top with yogurt and drizzle with honey. 

Seriously one of the best breakfasts I've had in awhile, and you all know that I love my breakfasts! I specifically love a chance to incorporate a healthy grain besides oatmeal. I love oatmeal, but it helps to change things up sometimes, keeps it fresh and makes it easier to keep making healthy choices! 

I paired this with some egg whites cooked with peppers and kale for a nice balanced breakfast. 

Let me know if you try it! 



No comments:

Post a Comment