Thursday, February 14, 2013

Betcha Didn't Know..

Another blog I read did a post like this and I thought it was pretty interesting so I figured it might be a fun sort of ice-breaker.

Smoothies: I don't 'drink' them, I typically eat them soup-style in a bowl, topped with granola and nuts and whatnot. I love it. Another blogger started me on this, and she calls them SIAB (smoothie in a bowl). It kind of stuck and I love the contrast of textures, so it's how I roll now. When I drink a smoothie with no toppings, it feels like something is missing.

Spiders: I am ridiculously afraid of them, and I will literally have a physical freezing response when I see one that is in or near my house. I am fine seeing tarantulas in the wild (on hikes, etc) but other than that, it's pretty embarrassing. Just yesterday there was an epic battle between me and a wolf spider in the driveway. I am horrified to admit that it took me a good few minutes to get up the courage to squash that sucker. But I won. In the end.

Saved By The Bell: I used to be able to tell what episode it was going to be just by the first 15 seconds after the theme song. Phew. Felt good to get that off my chest. On the other hand, how about AC Slaters mullet huh? And if you're too young to know what that is, humor me and don't make me feel old.

I don't play any instruments: I really regret not getting more involved with band when I was young. It's on my bucket list too. I really want to learn to play guitar.


So, there you go. Four things that you may not have known about me.

Today I tried CrossFit for the first time. Have you heard of this? I've wanted to try it for a while now. In fact, I bought a Groupon for it at the beginning of January. I'm a little intimidated by the idea of it, so it took me about a month to get up the guts to go try it. I think I might be hooked. I'll let you know tomorrow, if I can type without aching that is. It was pretty intense! Luckily, it was just 30 minutes today. Since I've been doing hour long cardio and strength training at my gym, I think I held up pretty well. I only cried a little bit and didn't puke once. Haha.

It got me thinking about protein. After a workout like that, it's important to get protein in combination with quality carbs and fat. I am having a hard time getting in the protein in a vegetarian way without carb-loading. It reminded me that when we decided to cut out meat, we decided we'd also continue to look for a more sustainable source for our meat. Truthfully, I do feel like I struggle a bit. I eat hemp, and whey, and a bit of dairy, and all sorts of other incomplete proteins. Egg whites make up the most of my diet though, which isn't easy as we're still working on a reliable local source that can keep up with our egg consumption. So I think for now, we'll choose high quality fish and continue searching for meat from a local ranch.

All in all it's a very conflicting situation. My conscious won't allow me to mindlessly consume meat anymore. As much as I LOVE meat and seafood, I'm not even tempted to buy if it's just from a regular grocer. Even if it has a "grass fed" "pastured" label, because the USDA has such half-assed standards for that. However, I recognize that my fitness goals might need more protein than I can easily get in. I am busy, and I have 3 kids and having to create complete proteins or eat enough quinoa, buckwheat and hemp is not that easy. While I wish that I could effortlessly be a vegan with a super low carbon footprint, I just don't think that is realistic for me. So, onward we go as we try to navigate this.


Tell me something about you that many people may not know!

No comments:

Post a Comment